Saturday, November 27, 2010

GOBBLE up some trifle...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING...
My Thanksgiving this year was pretty low-key and simple.  It was a gathering of my immediate family- dad, step-mom, brother-in-law, niece, and sister.  We were missing 2 of my brothers.  My big brother was in California- where I was last year with our mom and brothers & other family memebers; little brother was in Georgia- Army home.  I certainly did miss my brothers this year and it seemed weird without them!  We usually have other family members over but not this year.  It was less chaotic with all the others we usually have: cousins and friends. 
We had the normal- honey baked ham: my favorite, turkey and of course all the fixins like mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, celery with cheese & peanut butter; broccoli, cheese & rice dish; etc. etc. etc.  It was quite delicious and boy was I ever so full.  Of course there's dessert afterwards and I told myself I'm not gonna have any since I was stuffed.  Well that didn't help too much and I didn't trick myself into not having any of my favorite thing: PUMPKIN PIE!!!  I can't have a Thanksgiving dinner without ending it with pumpkin pie.  I usually bring other desserts so we can all have different options for our sweet tooths.
 
I looked online for Thanksgiving desserts I've never had or made and came across this Pumpkin Trifle.  I got this trifle bowl awhile back because I came across it at an awsome price and assumed I'll make a trifle someday since I never have.  Once I discovered this recipe I thought "I just have to give this one a try and see how it goes."  I think it actually turned out just fine for my first time of making a trifle.  Here it is...


INGREDIENTS:
FINISHED PRODUCT of my 1st trifle:

PUMPKIN TRIFLE...

Ingrediants-

1 package (14-1/2 ounces) gingerbread cake mix

1-1/4 cups water
1 egg
4 cups cold fat-free milk
4 packages (1 ounce each) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger, nutmeg and allspice
1 carton (12 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water and egg, beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into an ungreased 8-in. square baking pan.

Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. When completely cooled, crumble the cake. Set aside 1/4 cup crumbs for garnish.

In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Stir in pumpkin and spices until well blended.

In a trifle bowl or 3-1/2-qt. glass serving bowl, layer a fourth of the cake crumbs, half of the pumpkin mixture, a fourth of the cake crumbs and half of the whipped topping. Repeat layers. Garnish with reserved cake crumbs. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving. Yield: 18 servings.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

I must try this. I love trifles.

Rachael said...

I think I've started to like trifles now and this was my first one. I think it turned out pretty good :)