Three years ago on this day became a day I will never forget, along with others.
Here's the low down of my recovery-
It was a GREAT day in CO on July 6, 2006 and so I was at the zoo with the two little boys I was nannying for. (What an amazing job to have!) We were on our way home from having such a fun day at the Denver zoo. I had just got onto the freeway and ended up in the middle lane with a semi truck, that was driven by a drunk driver, to the left of me. I can guess that about 5 or so minutes after I got on, I was hit HARD from the semi. The truck did not use it's blinker to let me know it was coming in my lane and so I had NO control. I was hit really hard and the wheel smashed me, way hard. It hit me only on my door, luckily not one of the boys' doors, like REALLY hard. It made me get shaking and hit a lot and lots of glass into my body from broken windows. This means that I got to the hospital in a coma and set up with a tracheostomy to control my breathing. I was then taken, right away, to get brain surgery that I needed SO much. The coma ended up staying for two and half weeks and I woke up from it on my 23rd birthday. At this time I was "living" in three different hospitals but got to go home right before Thanksgiving. That's something to be thankful for!
I'm at this point in my life, since 3 years ago, where the time keeps taking FOREVER for this recovery process I'm in. There are two things that my brain and body are unable to do and I hate that part. I need a change up in things, to have them work how I want them to. Patience is a virtue but it's a thin line right now. It should get better soon, like I hope for.At this point I am now able to drive in a car all by myself. I can only drive during the day and not at night. That doesn't make too much sence to me but at least I can drive a little bit more. It feels SO wonderful to drive in a car all by myself when I need to or want to get something done and go somewhere. At this point I am still not working. I still don't even know why I can't from doctors orders. I understand the point that I shouldn't, due to my settlement. I just want to get out and live my life like a normal adult. My settlement is ending pretty soon. Once that is done and over with I will feel alot better. Let's just all hope that it all ends up being very positive for me! All I want is to have a normal life because I haven't had one for the past three years. I always try to be possitive about everything but just like every other person I have some off days that sometimes aren't the greatest. I certainly know that it will get better soon but it's just like a time bomb sometimes. I am just thankful at where I am right now because it could be tons worse and I just need to be kept on the positive side of things.

4 comments:
Rachael, You are certainly incredible and have a wonderful and insiring attitude. We'll continue to pray that your recovery will keep progressing!
Rachael, You are an amazing person who has inspired so many. I'm sure everything you have been through is much harder then anyone can ever understand. Thank you for your optimism and strength. You are in our prayers and I have faith you will make a full recovery. Love you and I am so happy you are here with us.
Rachael! You are so awesome. I can't believe how optimistic you are. I love that! I bet it has been a long 3 years for you. You are right about patience being a virtue and it is something that you have no doubt mastered! I am grateful to you for your example. Love you!
OMG , RACH, YOU LOOK SO GOOD AND THE CAR, AND HOUSE ,, YOU GO GIRL, KEEP BEING POSITIVE AND NOW WITH YOUR NEW LIFE ON ITS WAY ,, TO THINK IT WAS 3 YEARS AGO BRINGS BACK SAD AND HURTFULL MEMORIES BUT LOOK AT WHAT YOU OVER CAME,ENJOY ALL YOUR NEW THINGS HAPPENING , WISH I WAS JUST THERE TO GIVE YOU A BIG HUG,,THANKS FOR ALWAYS KEEPING IN TOUCH,, MISS YOU ,,LOVE FROM ,,AUNT DONNA , MEGAN ,, TEARA,, AARON ,, LITTLE ANGIE,, WILLIAM,,,,TA-TA
Post a Comment